Saturday, August 23, 2014

It's been a year...

I know, it's been a year with... nothing! And to complete that, this is another cliché post about me not posting a lot.

Well, some updates are in order! I am still working on my Pan-and-tilt project. It's been a year, and I just want to get it done. I think I am on the fourth? prototype now. I have sourced an enclosure, upgraded the design, and right now everything tests well. I am working on designing the PCB and writing the firmware.

You know those dampers I talked about in my last post? Well, I got some planning on completing the design, you know, a year ago (geez...). On SeeMeCNC I got a group order going, and after it ended, people kept on asking for them. Now I've begun selling dampers as a side-business. I don't make a lot of profit, but I enjoy the logistics so it's pretty fun.

3D printer has been scrapped. Yep, scrapped! After hanging around on 3D printer forums for a while I've decided that I just want a nice kit to start out with. I've begun saving for a Rostock MAX V2, but seeing as I will be heading to college in a year, this is a long term thing. I'm guessing it will be a year, maybe two, before I actually buy anything. It'll likely be the V4 by then!

I've started building a scale-model TARDIS as an HTPC machine. It will hold somewhere around 14TB of hard drives, which will contain my backups and 200+ hi-res movie rips.

I've expanded my electronics "lab" a whole lot, and gotten a lot more equipment. I have a Hakko hot air rework system, Hakko 888 soldering iron, and Hakko preheater. All of these I've gotten for really good prices on eBay. At least there is something my patience is good for!

I think I've gotten the entrepreneurial bug as well, as I have started an iPhone/iPad repair business! I plan on repairing 5-10 phones a week as I will be in school. It's no full time job, but I think it will double my monthly income as I have a part time job.

So, if anyone out there is listening - I'm back!

No comments:

Post a Comment